Happy official 2015! When I was deciding what to post for my first ever recipe in 2015, I wanted to post either Asian or Mexican (my Top 2014 Recipes might have given you that hint 🙂 ) – because they are my two favorite food groups – and I wanted something sweet and spicy – because that’s my favorite combo – and although this sounds all about me so far, I also thought about what YOU would absolutely love that is one of the easiest, most versatile meals, that you can dress up for company (I served this to friends last week) or simply serve with rice and call it a day – and my taste buds landed on Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Salsa Chicken – slow cooker style.
I am so in love with this chicken. It was inspired by the very popular Asian Firecracker Chicken recipes going around where the sauce is a combination of buffalo hot WINGS sauce and brown sugar – sweet and spicy and lip smacking good.
Add some garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, green chilies and salsa and we have a Mexican sweet and spicy sauce that is lick the plate good.
Add some chicken, black beans, sweet corn, and sweet and tangy pineapple to cook and soak up all the flavor and we have a meal that is lick your neighbor’s plate good.
This Pineapple Salsa Chicken makes a favorite filling in burritos or tacos but my personal favorite is to drain the liquid then use any excess liquid (plus needed water) to make rice, then pile rice, cheese, Pineapple Salsa Chicken, lettuce, sour cream and crushed chips for an out of this world burrito bowl. Lick your plate, your neighbor’s plate, the serving plate good.
As promised, 2015 is going to be a crazy good year!
- 2 pounds chicken breasts (3 large breasts) - frozen is fine
- 1/2 cup mild chunky salsa
- 2 tablespoons - 1/3 cup Franks Buffalo Hot WINGS Sauce (NOT regular hot sauce)*
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 20 oz. can pineapple chunks (drained)
- 1 15 oz. can black beans (rinsed & drained)
- 1 15 oz. can sweet corn (rinsed & drained)
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chillies
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Serve with tortillas, tortilla chips and/or rice
- sour cream
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker then add the rest of the ingredients. Start with 3 tablespoons hot wings sauce and add more at the end of cooking if you aren't sure how hot you want it.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high 4-6 hours. When chicken can shred easily, remove to a cutting board and shred. Mix the chicken back in the crockpot and allow to cook 30 more minutes. Taste and add additional hot wings sauce, brown sugar salt, pepper if desired.**
- Transfer chicken to a strainer and drain off any excess liquid.
- Serve chicken over rice or in tortillas, on salad, etc. with desired garnishes.
**If you are using the total 1/3 cup hot sauce, you might want to add more brown sugar to taste at the end of cooking to balance out the heat
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Other delicious uses for your bottle of Frank’s Hot Wing’s Sauce:
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: