So I can’t believe its taken me this long to post a meatball recipe. I mean, I love meatballs. They were my requested dinner for my mom to make for every single one of my birthday growing up so I’m glad I finally got my act together with Sweet and Spicy Cranberry Meatballs just in time for Christmas Eve and New Years Eve because these meatballs are the perfect make ahead appetizer that everyone will be begging you for the recipe, just like I used to beg my mom to make her famous meatballs growing up.
For the meatball itself, I used my mom’s perfect moist meatball recipe that uses crushed saltines instead of breadcrumbs, dry minced onion, ginger and garlic powder for meatballs oozing with flavor.
I then concocted this tantalizing sweet and spicy cranberry sauce inspired by my blackberry hoisin ginger pork tenderloin sauce. Its sweet from the cranberry sauce and brown sugar, tangy from the ketchup, complex from the hoisin, grounded by the soy, and spicy from the Buffalo Hot Wings Sauce. Basically, its crazy delicious.
The sweet and spicy deliciousness gets poured over lightly browned meatballs in the slow cooker…
And simmers away for about 2 hours as the meatballs cook and seep in the zesty, sweet, tangy, savory, spicy sauce.
Not only are the meatballs and sauce lip smacking good, they can be prepared before your company and stay warm in the slow cooker until its go time, perfect for a stress free company/holiday appetizer. Just be sure to sneak in a few meatballs before the company arrive because when its go time, there is no stopping until they are going, going….gone.
Leaving behind nothing but satisfied bellies, smiling faces and thankful hearts for your Sweet and Spicy Cranberry Meatballs.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 22 saltine crackers, crushed
- 1/3 cup dry minced onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
Sweet and Spicy Cranberry Sauce
- 14 oz. can whole cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup quality hoisin sauce like Kikkoman or Lee Kum Kee
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons-2 tablespoons Franks Buffalo Hot WINGS Sauce*
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Place a baking rack on top of a baking sheet. Set aside. (If you don't have a baking rack, line baking sheet with parchment paper.)
- In a large bowl, combine all of the meatball ingredients, mix until well combined. Roll meat mixture into desired meatball size**. Place meatballs onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, add all of the Sweet and Spicy Cranberry Sauce ingredients starting with just 2 teaspoons hot wings sauce to a bowl and mix to combine. You can add more hot sauce to taste at the end of cooking.
- Line the bottom of your slow cooker with meatballs, then a layer of Sweet and Spicy Cranberry Sauce, then the remaining meatballs followed by the remaining. Sauce. Gently stir meatballs an hour after cooking.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 2 hours. Taste and stir in additional hot wings sauce (I use a total of 2 tablespoons which is spicy) Keep warm until serving.
**Makes approximately 70 meatballs using 1" cookie scoop; 35 meatballs using 2" cookie scoop
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Other delicious uses for your bottle of Frank’s Hot Wing’s Sauce:
Never miss a Carlsbad Craving Creation:
(also uses Frank’s Hot Wings Sauce)
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation: