This Sweet and Smoky BBQ Chicken Chili is so good and easy my mom served it up on Christmas Day!
You are going to want this every day.
Its sweet and smokiness reminds me of Busch’s baked beans which are one of my favorite childhood comfort foods but loaded with tender chicken, green chilies, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika and liquid smoke. Seriously slurpworthilicious. (I hope you don’t mind I like to make up words – sometimes its necessary.)
If you aren’t familiar with liquid smoke, it imparts a wonderfully smoky flavor and really is liquid smoke It is created by capturing smoke as it rises through a combustion chamber filled with wood chips to a condenser. In the condenser, the smoke cools and forms a liquid, thus liquid smoke. (thank you Wikipedia). So if you ever want something to taste likes its been barbecued outdoors or smoked for hours, add a little liquid smoke. (Usually found next to the barbecue sauces in the grocery store.)
So back to this BBQ Chicken Chili being so easy, my mom served this on Christmas Day part – talk about the perfect stress free meal! All you do is add all the ingredients to the slow cooker. Done. If you don’t have a slow cooker or don’t have time to wait because you want to eat the chili right now, then you just add the step of brownging the chicken for a couple minutes then proceed to add the ingredients to your Dutch Oven/soup pot and simmer away. After 30 minutes, take your chicken out and shred it and add it back to your pot. Also super easy! I feel like I am beginning to sound like a broken record with all these easy soups and slow cooker meals, but I can’t ever stop becoming giddy over meals that are both delicious and effortless. Like really, it just seems wrong somehow for so much flavor and aroma to emerge with no thought or effort. But also
Its like magic.
And then its time for my favorite part – loading your magic beans of Sweet and Smoky BBQ Chicken Chili with cheese – lots and lots of cheese – sour cream, tortilla chips, avocado and even bacon if you like. Because BBQ and bacon just belong together. You will like.
Sweet and Smoky BBQ Chicken Chili – my belated Christmas gift to you that will continue to bring you joy all year round.
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (16 oz) can cannellini beans, undrained
- 1 (16 oz) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (16 oz) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 4 oz. can green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 14.5 oz. can chicken broth mixed with 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Hot sauce to taste (reserve until end of cooking)
- Sour cream
- tortilla chips
- Rub chicken breasts with olive oil and add to the bottom of your slow cooker, Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir around chicken.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. When chicken is tender, remove to a cutting board to shred or dice (personal preference) and return to slow cooker. Cook an additional 20 minutes.
- Add additional water/chicken broth for a less "chunky" soup if desired.
- Taste and add hot sauce, salt/pepper to taste.
- Best garnished with cheese, cilantro, sour cream, chips and bacon!
You might also like: