Thank you Green and Black’s Organic Chocolate for sponsoring this recipe. All opinions are my own.
Crazy moist Salted Caramel Milk Chocolate Cake, busting with milk chocolate covered toffee bits, coated in Caramel Icing and smothered in silky chocolate ganache. THE only chocolate cake recipe you ever need!
I can’t resist its siren calls. Whether it’s dark, white, semi-sweet, or milk chocolate – I answer every time. I try and be polite that way. Whether in cake, brownies, fudge sauce, candy bars, cookies, ice cream, mousse etc., chocolate makes the blissful world of desserts go-round.
My favorite rich dose of chocolate is chocolate cake – this Salted Caramel Milk Chocolate Cake to be precise because it is mouthfuls of chocolate and caramel. Divine. I adapted my favorite chocolate cake recipe used in my Peppermint Chocolate Cake and infused it with GREEN & BLACK’S ORGANIC Toffee Milk Chocolate. So yes, this cake boasts, chocolate, caramel and toffee! It’s every bit as delicious as you are imagining right now – and then some.
The delectable, buttery, smooth and crunchy organic milk toffee bars get melted as part of the cake batter, chopped pieces get stirred into the batter, and lastly, the milk chocolate toffee adorns each tier of the double rich cake.
With that much chocolate, it better be quality, goooood chocolate so I use GREEN & BLACK’S ORGANIC Chocolate. It is 100% organic and certified Fair Trade. They are a company committed to supporting farming communities around the world who supply them with the delicious Fair Trade ingredients that make their premium, certified organic chocolate bars possible. Creating the perfect balance of exceptional organic ingredients and mouthwatering flavors is the goal of GREEN & BLACK’S ORGANIC Chocolate, and the result is the best tasting organic chocolate bars possible, in my humble opinion. (See HERE for a complete GREEN & BLACK’S ORGANIC Chocolate brand history and philosophy.)
The crazy, moist, uber-chocolaty cake gets a double layer of silky, Salted Caramel Icing – which is barely enough for how badly you are gong to want to eat it with a spoon. The bit of saltiness balances out the milk chocolate sweetness and keeps you coming back for more. For my cake, I frosted it with a thin layer of icing, then let it set then frosted it again with a second layer for a completely enveloped, more opaque look, but you can just frost once and be done – completely up to you! Both taste AH-mazing.
The crowning glory of this Salted Caramel Milk Chocolate Cake is the silky chocolate ganache: soooo smooth, soft and the perfect compliment to the texture of the crystalized sugary caramel icing.
And the siren calls begin…
After I had finished photographing this cake, I called a few friends to see if they were home so I could drop some off – no one was home. So the cake sat on our counter all day, and all night. By the second day, half the cake was gone. True story. It’s that good. That irresistible. That chocolaty. Thank you GREEN & BLACK’S ORGANIC Chocolate.
Crazy moist Salted Caramel Milk Chocolate Cake, busting with milk chocolate toffee bits, coated in Caramel Icing and smothered in silky chocolate ganache. THE only chocolate cake recipe you ever need!
- Milk Chocolate Cake
- 4 GREEN & BLACK’S ORGANIC Milk Chocolate Toffee bars chopped, divided*
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup full fat sour cream
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3-5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon corn syrup
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Chocolate Cake: Add 2 chopped Toffee Bars to a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave at MEDIUM (50% power), stirring at 30-second intervals (about 1 1/2 minutes total time). Stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer for 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears after each addition. Add melted chocolate and beat just until blended.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a separate bowl. Gradually beat flour mixture into chocolate mixture at medium-low speed, alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Gradually add 1 cup hot water in a slow, steady stream, beating at low speed just until blended. Stir in vanilla and one chopped Toffee Bar.
- Grease two 10-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray containing flour or butter and flour the pans. Divide batter evenly between the pans and bake at 350° F for 25-35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean (mine took exactly 33 minutes). Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire rack before icing.
- Caramel Icing: Add butter and brown sugar to a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add 3 tablespoons heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt. Beat with a handheld electric mixer at medium high speed for 4 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, approximately 10-15 minutes. Icing will thicken upon standing. If icing has become too thick after cooling, beat in additional heavy cream, one tablespoon at a time to reach desired consistency..
- After cakes are cool and icing has cooled for 15 minutes, spread approximately 1/2 cup caramel icing on top of one cake round and sprinkle with 1/4 of a chopped Toffee Bar. Top caramel icing/chopped candy bar with the other cake and continue to frost. I like to cover the cake in a thin layer of icing then let it set, then finish with remaining icing for a more opaque look.
- Chocolate Ganache: Add heavy cream and butter to a large microwave safe bowl and heat for two minutes, stir to combine. Heat at 30 second intervals if butter is not completely melted at this point. Add chopped chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted. Let cool for 15 minutes. Spread the ganache just to the edges of the top of the cake. Push the chocolate over the edge of the cake in a few spots to create some “drips” if desired. Garnish cake with remaining chopped Milk Chocolate (3/4 of a bar).
**Total time does not include cake, caramel and ganache cooling.
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: