Sweet, slightly creamy Hawaiian Pineapple Coconut Cashew Rice cooked in pineapple juice, crushed pineapple and coconut milk, brightened by cilantro, lime and roasted cashews – HEAVENLY! An easy side for any main dish and impressive enough for company.
I am constantly going through different “cravings.” Mostly Mexican, mostly Asian, but right now, its everything tropical island. I love the sweetness of pineapple and mangoes, the freshness of lime, and sweet, creamy coconut. Drool.
I currently have in my lineup to share with you Island Shrimp Salad, Caribbean Sweet Heat Chicken, Island Sweet Chili Chicken and on and on. All seeping with paradisaical flavors. And what does every tropical (and even Asian) entree need as a side?
The perfect Hawaiian rice! Hello gorgeous.
I can pretty much guarantee you won’t be able to stop eating this Pineapple Coconut Cashew Rice. After all it cooks IN the pineapple juice and coconut milk so it is as tropically delicious as it gets.
It starts with a can of crushed pineapple that you measure the pineapple juice of and add coconut milk to equal 3 cups.
Bring to a simmer…
Cook, covered for approximately 20 minutes while the rice drinks in all that tropical goodness. Just think of all that flavor ingestion! mmmmm….
When the rice is done soaking in all the juices, its slightly creamy from the coconut milk, sweet refreshing from the pineapple, with just slight undertones of spices. Just before serving (so the lime doesn’t get lost), stir in your cilantro, lime juice to balance the sweet pineapple, and your roasted, salted, cashews to add a depth of nutty crunch.
And then its eating time!
AKA a taste of paradise time.
Sweet, creamy Pineapple, Coconut Cashew Rice. I’ll meet you in the tropics.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grained rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 20 oz.can crushed pineapple chunks in pineapple juice (NOT syrup)
- 1 13.5 oz.can unsweetened coconut milk (I like Chaokoh)
- 3 tablespoons sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, more or less to taste
- 1/2 cup salted roasted cashews
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- freshly cracked salt and pepper to taste
- Drain pineapple juice from crushed pineapple in a measuring cup. Add coconut milk to equal 3 cups liquid, adding water if necessary.
- Add liquid to a large pan and bring to a gentle simmer then stir in all remaining ingredients EXCEPT Garnishes. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat to low (dial should be a little above lowest setting). Simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring at 15 minutes, adding water if necessary.
- When rice is tender, remove from heat and let rest 5 minutes, covered.
- When ready to serve (not before), stir in lime juice, cilantro and cashews.
- Taste and season with freshly cracked salt and pepper and additional lime juice to taste if desired.
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: