What do you serve when Jeff Clark, pro surfer legend and discover of 60 ft. Mavericks, comes over for dinner? Sesame Chicken Egg Rolls, Skinny General Tso’s Chicken and new Mama’s Hot Lemon Poke Cake!
He looooooved it. And I can’t stop dreaming about it.
This award winning cake comes from a very special reader and her Mama. Toni’s Mama loved to make folks smile with her yummy cakes and this Hot Lemon Cake was by far her most requested, signature cake. When Toni moved away for college, she wanted to make the cake herself, but Mama didn’t have a recipe “she was brilliantly old school and never used a recipe!! and she NEVER measured anything!! And it came out perfectly EVERY SINGLE TIME!”
After many times watching Mama make her cake, Toni finally formulated and mastered Mama’s Hot Lemon Cake recipe. Word got out around town that Toni was making Mama’s Hot Lemon Cake and the requests for the cake started pouring in – and didn’t stop. Toni even won a city bake off with her Mama’s Hot Lemon Cake, making Mama was so proud!
And now I know why this cake is bake-off award winning worthy. It definitely would have gotten my vote because I cannot stop craving this cake! Its sweet, fresh, citrusy, soft, and so moist with a slightly crunchy crust.
To make it even more out of this world delicoius, its poked with holes so the AMAZING lemon glaze seeps into the cake for extra lemon sweet moistness.
You will want to liberally poke your cake with holes because this lemon glaze is out of this world. Its the perfect balance of sweet sugar and citrus lemon, all smothering and seeping into the Lemon Cake.
You can either serve the cake fresh out of the oven with a more translucent glaze, or to achieve the opaque lemon glaze as pictured, I prefer to cover half of my cake with the glaze, re-spooning any glaze that drips off back onto the cake, then let the cake sit for a half hour or so until the glaze hardens slightly, then spoon more glaze over the cake, so you have both crystallized glaze and velvety glaze – so good!. This method also works well when you have to prepare the cake beforehand, like I did when we had Jeff Clark over. When it was Mama’s Hot Lemon Poke Cake time, I simply microwaved individual servings, then poured the rest of the glaze over top.
There are simply no words for how addictingly delicious this cake is. No words but thank you to “Mama” for leaving a legacy of lavish love and creating such an obsessive worthy cake and thank you to Toni for capturing it in recipe form and sharing it with all of us!
Mama’s Hot Lemon Poke Cake. Mama created with lavish love.
- non-stick baking spray with flour in it
- 1 box butter cake mix (Duncan Hines brand recommended for best results)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk, preferably whole
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (may substitute 2 teaspoons lemon zest)
- zest and juice of 1 lemon (NOT Meyer)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (usually 2 lemons)
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Spray your bundt cake pan or 9x13 pan liberallly with non-stick baking spray that contains flour. (Regular non-stick cooking spray will not work.) Set aside.
- Pour the dry cake mix into a the the bowl of your standard or hand held mixer. Add all of the other Cake ingredients EXCEPT the lemon juice and zest and mix on high for 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest and juice of 1 lemon until well blended.
- Pour batter into cake pan and bake 45-60 minutes (depending on thickness of pan and your oven), or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, mix Lemon Glaze ingredients in a medium bowl until the consistency of pancake batter. If desired, add additional lemon juice or sugar to taste. Let glaze sit to thicken.
- Once cake is done, remove from oven and wait five minutes then flip onto cooling rack. Cool for 5 more minutes.
- Carefully transfer cake to serving platter and liberally poke holes all over the cake using a chopstick. (The more holes, the more glaze seeps into cake!)
- If serving immediately, pour glaze all over the cake, respooning Glaze over the cake as it drizzles down the cake. Glaze will become more translucent as it sits on the cake.
- If not serving immediately, spoon half of the glaze over the cake, respooning Glaze as it drizzles down the cake. When ready to serve, spoon reserved Glaze over cake and microwave individual servings until warm.
Recipe Source: Encore Event Rentals
Never miss a Carlsbad Craving Creation:
You might also like: