Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken simmered with Mexican spices, salsa and green chilies for amazingly flavorful chicken for tacos, burritos, nachos, soups, salads, etc. and all you do is dump and run! You NEED this in your back pocket!
Need is a strong word. But when it comes to food and recipes, I am convinced you NEED this go-to, easy, crazy delicious Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken at your fingertips. In fact, it is the only all purpose, Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken you will ever need!
After all, tacos, burritos, nachos, tostadas, chimichangas, enchiladas, etc. are only as good as the meat and this chicken is stellar. It will be the star of your Mexican dishes and bonus! – it is super easy and fabulous for make-ahead or even freeze-ahead meals.
Here’s a little video to show just how EASY this Mexican Chicken really is:
The perfectly flavored chicken cooks in a Mexican spiced bath of salsa, green chilies, diced tomatoes, brown sugar and a splash of liquid smoke.
The chicken cooks until its fork tender, then shredded and added back to the seasoned juices to re-absorb the flavor in every crevice.
At this point, you drain any excess liquid. I like to save the seasoned liquid to cook my rice in like I first did in my Slow Cooker Fajita Chicken – so good – some of the best rice you will ever eat! The chicken is perfect as is for tacos/burritos or if you are serving plain over rice, I love to stir in some enchilada sauce.
This Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken is ready to make all your Mexican dishes more delicious…
Like these Smothered Baked Mexican Chicken Burritos aka “Skinny Chimichangas” with Cheesy Green Chili Sour Cream Sauce…coming soon (updated – now HERE!!).
But don’t wait, your tate buds want you to make this chicken now! or tomorrow, or as soon as humanly possible…
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup mild salsa (medium if you like spicy)
- 3-4 tablespoons brown sugar**
- 1 4 oz. can mild green chilies
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper (optional for more heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoons liquid smoke*
- hot sauce to taste
- Rub chicken breasts with oil and place in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the hot sauce. Cook on high for 2-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is tender enough to shred.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board, and let rest 5 minutes before shredding (there will be liquid remaining). Return shredded chicken and let cook on low for an additional 20 minutes to absorb some of the liquid/juices. Drain all excess liquid (see note***). Taste and add hot sauce to taste if desired.
***Use 3 tablespoons brown sugar if using mild salsa and not using ground chipotle chili pepper. Use 4 tablespoons if you are using medium salsa and/or the ground chipotle chili pepper. The brown sugar balances out the heat. I use both medium salsa and the chipotle chili pepper and it has a kick but not overly spicy in my opinion - perfect to be smothered in cheese. I had a comment that the chicken is not spicy at all if you leave out the chipotle pepper - perfect for kids.
***When I drain my excess liquid, I top a large bowl with a strainer and add slow cooker contents, pressing down on chicken to get rid of all of the excess moisture. I then use drained liquid plus additional needed water to cook my rice for AMAZING flavored rice.
***If serving over rice, try stirring in some enchilada sauce after you drain your chicken for some saucy Enchilada Mexican Chicken.
****Chicken freezes beautifully.
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: