Are you ready to be the talk of Thanksgiving? Or rather, are you ready for your Double Layer Pumpkin Oreo Cheesecake to be the talk of Thanksgiving?
Because it will. Well, it will after your cousins, aunts, uncles, sisters, brothers, friends, parents, grandparents have put their forks down long enough to talk in between creamy, chocolaty, Oreo filled mouthfuls.
This Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake is so out of this world delicious that I can guarantee it will become a family favorite handed down for generations – much like my mom’s homemade pumpkin pie. I remember when my mom first tutored me as a teenager in making her famous homemade pumpkin pie and of course, I had to put my own spin on it so I added orange zest and it was super yummy and I was super proud. And then one year my mom brought her famous pumpkin pie to Thanksgiving AND a pumpkin cheesecake. It felt almost like betrayal to say we liked the pumpkin cheesecake better – but we all did. I mean, come on, its cheesecake. And when a cheesecake is done right, its so good.
So I’ve done cheesecake right by taking my best pumpkin cheesecake – which is even more delicious than pumpkin pie – and turned it into double pumpkin cheesecake – which naturally is exponentially more delicious than plain pumpkin cheesecake. Because Thanksgiving is time to bring out the big guns of desserts. Thanksgiving is the time for a crust of buttery Oreos, topped with creamy cheesecake, further topped with creamy pumpkin cheesecake spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, topped with homemade whipped cream, crushed Oreos and drizzled with chocolate. Just look at those layers…
Once you taste this Double Layer Pumpkin Oreo Cheesecake you will be itching for the first winds of Fall every year just so your pumpkin cheesecake making can begin because you can’t have this cheesecake just once a year. Its just not possible. The cravings of creamy pumpkin cheesecake, Oreo and chocolate will just be too strong.
Another fabulousity about this cheesecake is that you can make it the day before Thanksgiving so there is no last minute stress. Love that! Now my directions to make this cheesecake are long because they are detailed (so there are no questions for anyone has never made a cheesecake before), but they are simple, so please don’t be scared away because you and your Thanksgiving guests need this cheesecake. Its future tradition.
Glorious Double Layer Pumpkin Oreo Cheesecake. Another reason to be thankful.
**These directions are long because they are detailed (so there are no questions for anyone has never made a cheesecake before), but they are simple, so please don’t be scared away!**
- 24 Oreos, finely crushed in blender or food processor
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
Plain Cream Cheese Layer
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Layer
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 10 Oreos, crushed
- 3 oz. semi-sweet Baker’s chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Waterproof a 9" springform pan by placing 2 18" x 18" pieces of aluminum foil on a flat surface underneath the pan so they form a + then gently fold (to make sure you don't create any holes) up the sides of the foil around the pan. Repeat.* Line bottom of springform with parchment paper and lightly grease the inside of your entire pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, with the oven rack in lower third of oven. Fill a roasting pan with 1 1/2 inches water to create a water bath for your cheesecake (to prevent cracking). Place roasting pan in the oven while you prepare your cheesecake.
- To make the crust, pour finely ground Oreos in a large bowl and stir in melted butter; mix until well combined. Pour Oreo crumbs into springform and firmly press the crumbs down on the bottom of the pan until you have an even layer.
- To make the cheesecake filling, add cream cheese and sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed 5 minutes until light and fluffy. With mixer still running, add the eggs, then the egg yolks, 1 at a time, mixing 30 seconds after each egg/egg yolk, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the sour cream, lemon juice and vanilla and mix until well incorporated. Pour only 1 1/2 cups of this plain cheesecake on top of the uncooked Oreo crust and evenly spread to the edges. Place in the freezer while you prepare the pumpkin layer (to create more defined layers).
- To make the pumpkin cheesecake layer, add pumpkin, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to the remaining plain cheesecake batter and mix until well blended. Pour this pumpkin cheesecake onto the plain cheesecake and carefully spread over the plain cheesecake layer.
- To bake your cheesecake, place the cheesecake in the water bath and cook for 55-65 minutes OR until the edges are firm and the center of the cheesecake is still jiggly, but not runny.
- To gently cool your cheesecake and prevent cracking, turn off your oven and crack open the oven door. Allow cheesecake to cool in oven for 60 minutes, then remove to a wire rack and gently run a hot knife along the edges of the cheesecake. Release springform and continue to cool for 2-3 hours or until cheesecake is completely cooled. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Prepare topping when ready to serve by beating heavy cream and sugar on high speed until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream over pumpkin cheesecake and top with crushed Oreos. Melt chocolate in microwave, mixing at 30 second intervals until melted. Stir in oil and drizzle over cheesecake by placing chocolate in a Ziploc bag, and cutting off the corner.
Make a day ahead of time to alleviate any stress!
Never miss a Carlsbad Craving Creation:
You might also like:
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
I was thrilled to provide the food for the Caravan Shoppe’s beautiful Thanksgiving Chalkboard Prints photoshoot- you can check the prints out HERE to make your Thanksgiving/Christmas fabulously festive and get all 7 posters with different sayings for only $12!