Its been getting tropical a lot around here lately…in a food sort of way.
The warm summer breezes just make me want to cover everything in mangos, papayas, coconut and pineapple!
In the last couple of weeks, I’ve already made Teriyaki Pineapple Chicken Sandwiches with Honey Cotija Avocado Spread, Sweet and Spicy Asian Salmon with Blueberry Pineapple Salsa, Honey Lemon Salmon with Mango Chimichurri, Pineapple Coconut Cream Cheese Wontons with Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce and on and on…all created, photographed and devoured – And ALL coming your way, because like I said, I’ve been craving the tropics around here and I want you to join me!
I”ve seen chicken breaded in pecans but never cashews, so I thought, why not? That seems tropical??!
And tropical it is! This crunchy, breaded chicken is simply one of the best I’ve created! Every bite of chicken is crusted in cashews, coconut and panko spiced with cumin, cayenne (as little or as much as you like) garlic and onion and sweetened with the coconut and brown sugar. The perfect blend of sweet and spice, crunchy outside, tender inside. And the cashews just push it over the edge. Seriously delicious!
AND its super easy! Simply process the coconut and cashews, combine with panko and spice, dredge the chicken in flour, egg and cashew breading mixture and bake…
Voila! Addictive crunchy, HEALTHY tropical chicken! I love this chicken SO MUCH that I made the chicken again the very same week just so I could make the chicken the star of a salad I have coming your way – a tropical salad I might add with pineapple ginger vinaigrette!!
And as we all know, every crispy chicken needs a killer dip. So I created this easy Mango Honey dip by blending mangos, honey, garlic, green onions, cider vinegar, lime juice and red pepper flakes…
Speaking of the dip, as I was plating my food to photograph, Patrick suggested I garnish my plate with drops of dip (we’ve been watching a lot of Master chef lately), so I told him to go for it. So the beautiful, perfect circles of dip beautifying the plate are from Patrick. Just wanted to give credit where credit is due. Yes, he is so cute.
Now open wide…
So these Crispy Cashew Coconut Chicken Tenders with Mango Honey Dip can welcome you to the tropics!
- Cashew Coconut Chicken Tenders
- 12 chicken tenders (just over 2 pounds)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup toasted cashews
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Mango Honey Dip
- 2 mangos, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-2 tablespoons cider vinegar*
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 green onions, roughly chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons red chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add cashews and coconut flakes to blender or food processor and process until cashews are about the size of the panko crumbs, scraping the sides of the blender as needed. Add cashews/coconut, panko, chicken tender spices and brown sugar to a shallow dish and mix until evenly distributed.
- Place the flour in another shallow dish. Whisk the egg with the lime juice in another shallow dish. Working with one chicken tender at a time, dredge in flour and then dip in egg, and then finally coat in the coconut/cashew/panko mixture, pressing mixture into chicken with your fingers to make sure the coating sticks.
- Place chicken tenders on a foil-lined baking sheet (for easy clean up!) with a baking rack on top that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Lightly spray chicken with non-stick cooking spray for extra crispiness (optional). Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until juices run clear. Broil until coconut is nicely golden, and panko crisp, but still light in color.
- To make the Mango Honey Dip, place all the ingredients in a blender, starting with just 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes and process until smooth. Taste and add additional red pepper flakes as desired.
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: