This Cheesy Bolognese Tortellini Bake is one of my all time favorite pastas! The Bolognese sauce is incredibly flavorful, hearty and comforting and the layers of cheesiness can’t be beat! I can pretty much guarantee that your whole family (you included) will go crazy for this pasta!
I feel like I’m breaking the rules by posting a tortellini casserole in August. After all, its one of the hottest months of the year but after all these grilling recipes, I am really craving some cheeeeese! And let’s be clear, this isn’t just any Tortellini Bake. Its not just a cheese tortellini bake, or a vegetable tortellini bake, or a marinara tortellini bake but an ooey gooey, Cheesy Bolognese Tortellini Bake – which means it has it all!
And will soon have your heart with its cheese stuffed pillows of tortellini complimented by the texture of crisp-tender carrots, green peppers, zucchini and mushrooms, blanketed in a hearty bolognese sauce infused with Parmesan sandwiched in between two layers of mozzarella cheese, topped with more freshly grated Parmesan cheese and baked until bubbly golden perfection.
Not only did my husband, a self proclaimed pasta critic after serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Rome for two years, give this Cheesy Bolognese Tortellini Bake “5 out of 5 stars,” but a reader said the following when I first posted this recipe:
“Hey, Jen, I made this recipe yesterday for a large luncheon after church. (Actually I made it on Saturday and refrigerated it until yesterday when I baked it). I made a double batch and the only thing I changed was adding yellow squash with the zucchini. Everyone absolutely LOVED this recipe! The taste was awesome, the sauce was fabulous, and the cheesy gooeyness was incredible. Needless to say, we will be making this recipe AGAIN! Thanks so much for sharing.”
In other words, you and your family of food critics will love this pasta!
This Tortellini Bake starts with a pretty typical Bolognese except with tons of flavor…
And the addition of squash…
Once you have browned your meat with your onions and carrots, then you saute your mushrooms, followed by your squash and bell peppers.
Stir in all the remaining “Bolognese ingredients” and simmer for 15 minutes for the the flavors to develop and the sauce to reduce…
Then stir in your UNCOOKED tortellini and some Parmesan cheese…
Then pour half of the Bolognese Tortellini into a 9×13 dish…
Top with a layer of mozzarella, the remaining Bolognese Tortellini then another layer of mozzarella and Parmesan and bake to golden cheesilicoiusness.
And then dig in to the hearty, cheesy, Bolognese bathed pillows of tortellini. And then you might understand why I have so many photos…
Because I just can’t…
Cheesy Bolognese Tortellini Bake. It will win your heart ooey gooey bite after bite after bite…
Want to try this Cheesy Bolognese Tortellini Bake?
Pin it to your PASTA or DINNER Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
- 1 20 oz. package fresh cheese tortellini – UNCOOKED***
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups freshly grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef (may use 1/2 sausage)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 1 squash, quartered and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 6-8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 whole bay leaf
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch Oven (or very large pot) over medium high heat. Add meat and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Add onions and carrots and cook until meat is browned.
- Add mushrooms and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add squash, bell peppers and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in all of the remaining “Bolognese Sauce ingredients” and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- After 15 minutes, discard bay leaf and stir in 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup Parmesan and the uncooked tortellini. Stir until well combined then pour 1/2 of this Bolognese tortellini into a 9x13 casserole dish. Top with 1 cup mozzarella then top with remaining Bolognese tortellni followed by remaining cheeses.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes then remove foil and broil cheese until golden brown.
3 Cheese Buitoni Tortellini.
©Carlsbad Cravings Original, posted, 3/30/14, updated 8/9/2016
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: