I am so honored today to have joined a few foodie friends in contributing to “Cooking For a Cure” with my Pomegranate, Pear, Pistachio Salad with Creamy Pomegranate Dressing.
As many of you are aware, October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in the United States (other than skin cancer), with 1 in 8 woman being diagnosed within their lifetime. I am sure many of you have been affected by breast cancer in one way or another, or unfortunately, will be at some time in the future. I watched my mother-in-law fight and conquer this horrific disease – twice. Her courage, strength and grace inspire me everyday.
Millions of women like my mother in law are surviving the disease thanks in part to early detection and improvements in treatment made possible by the American Cancer Society. To support this cause, my foodie friends and I have each cooked up a “pink” recipe – or recipe with a pink element.
I chose to whip up for you a healthy, Fall inspired salad – packed with flavor and texture in every sweet, crunchy bite.
This salad is loaded with sweet pears, apples, and pomegranate arils (I buy min pre-packaged – it just makes life easier), crisp cucumbers and red bell peppers and crunchy roasted, salted pistachios, pepitas and creamy Feta cheese all doused in pink Creamy Pomegranate Dressing.
The delectable dressing is comprised of Cherry Pomegranate Greek Yogurt (I buy the small single serving for this), pomegranate juice, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and Sweet Red Chili Sauce (found in the Asian section of your grocery store). The Sweet Red Chili Sauce is my go ingredient to in every sauce and dressing – it sweet, and tangy with a kick. It doesn’t make the salad spicy but adds a nice flavor punch with its rice vinegar, red chilies, garlic and sugar that perfectly compliments the sweet fruit in the salad.
This National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, my heart goes out to all those who have lost loved ones to breast cancer. My heart celebrates with all those who have triumphed over the disease. My heart marches on with encouraging cheers to all those currently fighting the battle.
- Pomegranate, Pear & Pistachio Salad
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 sweet apple (I like Fuji), chopped
- 1 pear, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup roasted and salted pepitas (may sub. sunflower seeds)
- 1/3 cup roasted and salted pistachios
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese
Creamy Pomegranate Dressing
- 1 5.3 oz. Greek Yogurt with Cherry Pomegranate (I use Fage)*
- 1/4 cup Sweet Red Chili Sauce (found in Asian section)
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together all of the Creamy Pomegranate Dressing ingredients in a medium bowl and chill in the refrigerator while you prepare the salad.
- Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl. If serving entire salad immediately, drizzle with desired amount of dressing and toss to coat. If there might be leftovers, drizzle dressing on individual salad servings. Top with freshly ground salt and pepper.
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Craving Creation:
You might also like:
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
I was thrilled to provide the food for the Caravan Shoppe’s beautiful Thanksgiving Chalkboard Prints photoshoot- you can check the prints out HERE to make your Thanksgiving/Christmas fabulously festive and get all 7 posters with different sayings for only $12!