Slow Cooker Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Chicken Chowder. That’s a mouthful. A mouthful of the most comforting bowl of soup you will eat this year and become a family favorite for years to come. And your favorite for years to come made with NO butter and super easy to throw together in the crockpot.
As I mentioned back in my 4th post ever, my, beloved Skinny Cheesy Bacon Ranch Chicken Pasta (a MUST!), I grew up on baked potatoes piled high with cheese, broccoli, and drizzled with ranch and sprinkled with bacon. The ultimate stuffed potato. My ultimate comfort food.
The only way the ultimate stuffed potato could become more comforting is to deconstruct it into a ranch infused creamy, cheesy chowder packed with chicken, tender potatoes, broccoli, carrots and corn. Every bite a savory symphony of complex textures and layered flavors of garlic, onion and classic ranch blend of parsley, dill and chives (with the help of an easy ranch seasoning packet) that leaves you closing your eyes to ponder the deliciousness of it all and craving this chowder until the very last drop…and beyond.
This comforting chowder couldn’t get any easier. Simply add your chicken, broccoli, potatoes, carrots, corn, onions and garlic to your slow cooker along with chicken stock and ranch seasoning mix and cook until chicken is tender enough to dice or shred.
Then add milk or half and half (I use nonfat half and half) to your blender along with cream cheese and flour to create a no-cook AND no butter roux and add it to your soup the last 30 minutes to creamify. Finally, stir in your glorious cheese and bacon (while remembering this chowder contains no butter!).
And the ultimate bacon, broccoli cheese, ranch stuffed potato in soup form is born. And I call it Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Chicken Chowder.
And it is amazingly delicious swimming with ranch creaminess, packed with vegetables and possibly the only respectable way to eat bacon – by the spoonful.
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 3 cups broccoli florets chopped*
- 1 large potato (about 2 cups+)
- 3 large carrots (about 2 cups+)
- 1 15 oz. can sweet corn, drained
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry ranch dressing/seasoning mix
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups milk or half and half (I use nonfat half and half)**
- 1-2 cups FRESHLY grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Add chicken to the bottom of the slow cooker followed by add all of the ingredients up to the four (do not add flour and ingredients after). Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low 6-7 hours, or until chicken is tender enough to shred and potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Remove chicken and allow to rest 5 minutes before dicing or shredding.
- Meanwhile, add cream cheese, flour and half and half/milk to blender and liquefy until smooth. Stir cream cheese mixture into slow cooker and return diced/shredded chicken. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in cheese, 1/2 cup at a time until melted. Stir in bacon. Taste and add additional salt, pepper, red pepper as desired.
- Garnish individual servings with green onions and additional bacon and cheese (optional).
**The higher the fat content, the creamier the soup.
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: