Slow Cooker Asian Sweet Chili Sesame Chicken knocks the socks off of traditional Sesame Chicken with the additional depth of sweet and spicy Asian Sweet Chili Sauce AND all you have to do is add the ingredients to your slow cooker and dinner is served!
Well, served in a few hours any way, but you get the idea.
I have been grilling a lot this summer and have so many grilling recipe ideas to make/share before the summer is over that I have neglected my other favorite summer cooking method – the crockpot! This little counter cooker allows you to beat the summer heat by adding all your ingredients then walking away as your home fills with the enticing aroma – and in this case – the sweet and spicy aroma of Sweet Chili Sesame Chicken. Its a beautiful thing.
But also kind of tortuous. But the wait is sssssoooooooooo worth it.
This chicken is infused with Asian ymminess from swimming in a sauce of – you guessed it – Asian sweet chili sauce, toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, ketchup, hoisin sauce (like Asian BBQ Sauce), brown sugar, garlic, onion and ginger.
Just look at it drinking in the Asian Sweet Chli Sesame Sauce as it cooks…
Once the chicken is cooked and shredded, you mix in a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce so every crevice of the chicken is drenched in the unforgettable sweet heat sauce.
Move over chopsticks.
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, thawed*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Sriracha to taste (optional)
Sweet Chili Sesame Sauce
- 2-4 tablespoons Asian Sweet Chili Sauce**
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons quality hoisin sauce like Lee Kum Kee or Kikkkoman***
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder (or 3-4 garlic cloves, minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder (or 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- toasted sesame seeds
- chopped green onions
- Add chicken to the bottom of your crockpot.
- Whisk the Sweet Chili Sesame Sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl. Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Shred chicken and add 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water to the crockpot. Stir contents around. Cook on high for 20-30 minutes until sauce thickens. Taste and add Sriracha for spicier, brown sugar for sweeter if desired.
- Serve with rice and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.
**f you don't like heat at all, start with 2 tablespoons Asian Sweet Chili Sauce. You can always add more at the end of cooking.
***Hoisin sauce can be found in the Asian section of your grocery store.
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: